Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Matthew 7:22-23 and 25:44-46

One very important biblical theme, seen clearly, especially in the Gospel of Matthew, is that, on that Day, many people who honestly believe themselves to be disciples of Jesus, will be stunned to be turned away by Him.

"Lord, lord, did we not prophesy in your name and cast out demons and perform many miracles?"

"But Lord, when did we see you hungry...?"

It's extremely important that people who seek Jesus get righteousness right...

...because the clear teaching of Jesus is that "on that day many" (Mt. 7:22) will hear Him say to them, "I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers." (v. 23)

Among all the failings in the teachings that come from some of the holders of institutional authority in the General Conference office, this is the most egregious, and deadly.

I, personally, take these warnings to heart, and have for many years.

One of the prayers I repeat most often, based on Philippians 2:12, and other Scriptures, is, "Lord, help me to work out my own salvation with fear and trembling." And, I do work out my salvation fearfully.

I often contrast the essence of the Church of God in our movement days, when our ministry was being abundantly blessed, with the CGGC of today as we continue to the slide of generations into spiritual decay and numerical decline.

One way that I don't believe I've ever contrasted the two, to this point, is on this matter of getting righteousness right by working out your salvation with fear and trembling.

Clearly, in the movement days, we understood the holiness of God and the reality that the Lord is s righteous judge. It was obvious to our people, then, that human beings must work out their salvation with fear and trembling. In those days, our people lived radically.

Just as clearly, in our decay days, the warnings of Jesus about the shock many will experience on that Day, and the obvious need for all people to work out their salvation with fear and trembling, as even Paul himself did, are absent from the message preached by many of our friends in high places.

As a body we suffer.

Many, but not all, of the holders of institutional authority in the CGGC, live very moderate, mellow lives.. Most CGGC people follow suit.

And, many individuals who swallow the gospel preached in the CGGC today, are being set up to hear Jesus say to them, "I never knew you. Away from me..."

Doesn't that bother you?

Doesn't it break your heart?

1 comment:

  1. I sense that Mount Joy is doing the very thing you are talking about

    ReplyDelete