Friday, April 17, 2020

I'm Figuring Out that, in My Heart, Politically, I'm Rather Radically Moderate

It's a biblical truth that human beings have a nature, a natural bent.

In terms of spiritual matters, there can be no doubt that our nature is sinful. "...walk by the Spirit and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh, for the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh..." (Gal. 5:16f)

I, at least, also have a natural bent politically, as I assume many people do.

I'm just figuring out that mine is pretty radically moderate. And, its the response to the COVID-19 that helped me come to grips with that reality.

Being employed in an essential occupation, as a manager of the front end of a grocery store, recently, I found myself being irritated in the way liberals would be by the store. I thought that management wasn't protecting its employees as well as it might have and part of me thought that Big Brother should step in and mandate certain actions.

Today, I went to the store to pick up some checks, and to take care of some other errands and spoke with my friends who are still working.

I discovered that, beginning next Monday, a whole slew of regulations imposed on the store will effect that, in my mind, are on the level of micromanagement...

...and the libertarian in me took over and I became enraged by the audacity of Big Brother.

So, apparently, neither I, nor anyone else, can win, as far as I am concerned.

Be liberal, but you'd better watch out. And, by all means, be libertarian...but you'd better do it with a strong conscience and a big heart.

It's irrational, and a hard way to be inclined, but I'm pretty radically moderate.

No comments:

Post a Comment