Sunday, April 12, 2020

Just to Plead My Case: I'm not being a Curmudgeon

I'm not into Easter and I'm not into the whole Advent/Christmas schtick.

But, I want to make the point that my walk with Jesus is not centered around what I'm against...

...I'm for something that I believe is more purely of the gospel.

I believe that what I'm for has been attended with profound spiritual blessing when it has been lived.

---------------

I grew up in a family that was deeply religious. I was in church and Sunday School each and every week.

I've said often here that I could repeat the Lord's Prayer and the Apostles' Creed long before I could read.

Having said that, back in the day, I loved Christmas and Easter. I was a C and E church person who was always in church.

I understand why people today make a big deal out of those two Holy Days created by the Roman Church.

But, the truth is that, especially for people of the Word, people who claim the Bible as their only rule of faith and practice, there's no such thing as a Holy Day.

Every day...every moment is the Lord's.

The Old Testament people celebrated Holy Days which were commanded by the Lord.

It would have seemed the most normal thing for there to be special days in the New Covenant. It would seem right that there'd be a Christmas Holy Day and an Easter Holy Day in the New Testament. But, they're not there. They are human inventions. It's significant, I believe, that there are no Holy Days in the New Covenant.

Even the practice of gathering on the first day of the week developed among early disciples without command.

There is a practice, of sorts, that was commanded by Jesus. "Do this in remembrance of Me." That's it.

The practice of early followers of Jesus, which is never taught, and certainly is not commanded, but can be gleaned from the New Testament, reflects an ongoing practice revealing the fact that the gospel was at the center of life, is what I'm for.

It worked then. It was empowered. Blessed. And, it still is.

Being for that, your Easter saddens me, as does Christmas.

There's something ancient, primitive and spiritual that is vastly superior to your Holy Days, which are the fruit of human tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment