Monday, March 16, 2020

Being Jesus among People Hoarding Toilet Paper

FYI, I was finishing this post as Evie began to experience her ruptured colon Friday morning. Shortly after I typed the draft of this post I was in my car, following the ambulance to the hospital. 

This is part journal entry and part, uh, "sermon."

---------------

I love my job working with the public in a grocery store where I envision my real task to be serving as an ambassador of the Kingdom of God.

One aspect of this role that I don't believe I've ever mentioned is what I learn about the folly of fallen human nature, as well as the glories of what it means to be redeemed.

I'm convinced that every self-imagined leader of the institutional church should work for one month in a position similar to mine. Every day, I learn important truths about the disciples that the church shepherds as well as the people of the world who need to repent and believe the good news.

The things I've learned about people!

Oh, how it would have increased the effectiveness of my ministry when I was a parish priest.

It's an education every Jesus follower could pay loads of money for and, the store actually pays me to experience it!

Anyway, the days since people, around here at least, began to take the coronavirus seriously have supplied those who do what I do with new, valuable lessons.

I get that the virus is serious and can be life threatening, especially for geezers such as myself.

And, I understand that if one contracts it, it's important to treat the symptoms to minimize their effect...

...but hoarding toilet paper???!!!?!?

Nothing that toilet paper can be used for addresses a symptom of this illness.

Clearly, people can be irrational when fear overtakes them. It's a challenge to be in the midst of it. And, it can either be annoying or, if one works hard at it, amusing to behold. Either way, it's powerful to experience.

As a matter of coincidence I asked for a few days off in March and, though today (Friday) and tomorrow were not my first choice, those are the days off I received.

The panic was a rumble on Wednesday, my last day of work this week.

----------------

As a Kingdom ambassador, one of my roles is to uphold and encourage...to shepherd in a non-institutional church way...other team members. My phone has been buzzing like a bee as it alerts me of texts from coworkers.

THEY ARE GOING CRAZY!

---------------

Times like this either bring out the best or the worst in people and we are seeing the height of selfishness and greed in many people.

In my cycle of MLI, we learned that in the first few centuries of the New Testament Kingdom, the faith expanded most rapidly when believers showed Christ's love unselfishly, and often at the cost of their own lives, at times when plagues ravaged portions of the Roman Empire. When others panicked, even hated, Christians loved. 

My believing coworkers and I have the opportunity to be on the front lines of grace and mercy...as do all believers these days.

Incidentally, I just received and read Lance's latest eNews in which he addresses the challenges presented to people who love Jesus by the spread of the coronavirus. Lance says this, in part:

We live in a culture that’s already plagued by loneliness and isolation. The measures taking place right now will just increase that sense of isolation and loneliness. Jesus calls us to love our neighbor as we love ourselves. Now is one of the greatest opportunities for the people of God to live out our faith with real hope and authentic care. Reach out to your neighbors. I’m already hearing about churches exploring how to help feed vulnerable children who won’t have the benefit of hot school lunches for several weeks. Now is the time to put our faith into action. How can you put God’s love on display in the days and weeks to come? How can you demonstrate and proclaim the love of Jesus Christ in the next few days?

While I wish Lance wouldn't make this so much about what CHURCHES do, I applaud his take on the challenges of this time.

We are in the midst of an historic opportunity to live as people of the Kingdom.

"Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy."

1 comment:

  1. Powerful "sermon," Bill. I remember when I first started as a "parish priest," I felt one of my greatest gifts was that it was later in life. I'd been able to experience life outside the church bubble. I appreciate your perspective here, and the encouragement it offers all of us.

    Hang in there, my friend!

    ReplyDelete