Wednesday, August 23, 2023

We "went to 'church'" again yesterday

Gang,

It's been a year since I posted a blog. Actually, I've rough-drafted about a half-dozen but have not hit publish on any of them, though I might still. Many of them still seem like good ideas and...of the Lord. 

I'm still up here at 40,000 feet and observing. 

We did go to church on Sunday. The last time we went, I blogged that, too. So, I know. The last time we did the traditional, institutional church "service" was in August 2021.

Yesterday was an okay experience. It was a small group that meets in a bowling alley. Very nice, welcoming people. Mostly people a little older than are we. Plus some grandkids. Just like many CGGC congregations. For the most part, they appeared to be people from a Mennonite background. 

In the "sermon," the guy who self-identifies as "Lead Elder (pastor)," "preached" a "topical sermon" mostly from James, on the connection between faith and works. He spent a chunk of time on 1:26-27, verses I harangued on often when I was blogging regularly. It's the "religion that is pure and undefiled" verses...which few, if any CGGC "churches" practice. 

WE MUST REPENT...or else. 

Anyway, the message content was fine. But, gang, it was, by definition, at its core, unbiblical...because sermons ain't biblical. 


After the "service," as we were chatting, the "Lead Elder (pastor)" engaged Evie in a cordial  conversation about why she isn't a regular attender of the services of the institutional church. I was fascinated. She and I don't talk about this regularly. Her explanation was far less theoretical and theological than mine is. But, I was nodding through the whole thing. 

Bottom line. What happens in "church" "services" doesn't resemble, in even the slightest way, anything Jesus did, or taught. The same is true of the behavior of the apostles and early disciples. 


Evie has a part time job now. The pastor's wife works with her...is her supervisor...and they're becoming close friends. We promised that we'll be back to their gathering...from time to time.  It wasn't an empty promise. 

Still, American institutionalized church involvement doesn't enhance our lives of obedience.   

I have struggled for about a half-dozen years with Hebrews 10:24-25. "...let us...not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing..."

I am convinced that what happens in an American church in 2023 has absolutely nothing in common with early disciples "meeting together" and truly does me more harm than good. Certainly, the Lord isn't blessing it.

Still, the early followers of Jesus knew that it was important not to "give up meeting together." I'm convinced that it still is important. But, how? Where?


Anyway...

..."we went to 'church' again." My guess is that I may reflect more on the Hebrews 10 teaching in the future. 

Blessings. 

We must repent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment