Friday, July 29, 2022

On being "Adorable"

While we were on our Snowbird Sojourn from late December through early April, Evie needed to buy a really good pair of sneakers.

She googled, "footwear." She found a store with a 4.9 (out of 5, not 10) customer rating and we drove there. The store deserved its rating. We were attended there by a very competent 40Something woman who set Evie up with shoes, inserts and socks.

The woman who took care of us was very patient. She invested more than a half hour with us. She answered our questions about shoes and herself and her family, in the way someone who's good at customer service does.

As we were finishing up, we were talking about personal stuff: spouse, children, hometown, etc. 

She asked, "How long have you two been married?" We told her. Then, she smiled and knifed me in the heart.  

"You're adorable."

She meant well.

"Adorable" is an adjective that fits two groups of people: Children younger than three and,...

...very, very old people. 

On this blog, I, frequently, refer to myself as a geezer. 

It's one thing for me to say I'm a geezer. It's quite another for someone else even to think it.

Twelve years ago, Evie was having chemo treatments. She shaved her hair before the treatments started. She didn't want to wake up in the morning with clumps of hair on her pillow. To support her, I shaved mine, too. And, I've continued to shave it.

The shaved head was sort of a lark back in the day. If you thought I was old, the joke was on you.

That was twelve years ago. Now I realize I am old. 

But, please, not "adorable." I can't be that old!


If you know me only from this blog, you may dismiss me as a Grumpy Old Man. 

If so, understand. We now have it from an unbiased, independent observer: 

I am adorable.

When you read the words, "We must repent," here, remember. Those words come from a man who is adorable,...not a crotchety, grumpy, old man.

We must repent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment