Sunday, July 24, 2022

A Word on next week's General Conference sessions

I haven't blogged for a long time.

In the past, I've used this blog to speak as a prophet. For the times I have neglected that calling in recent months, I know that I need the Lord's forgiveness for my silence. 

Months ago, I read, in the eNews, that the theme of the 2022 General Conference gathering will be "Reimagine." When I read that, immediately, the prophet in me woke up. 

I don't feel prophety as often these days as I have at some times in the past, but, on this issue, my prophetic voice instantly came alive. 

Over the years, I've learned to listen to the Spirit before I speak as a prophet. 

As a result, part of my delay in transmitting this word is my understanding that, to be faithful to the Spirit, I need to be careful to get it right.

I could have written this long ago. Other issues, some of a spiritual nature, are involved in my delay. So, I ask for the Lord's forgiveness and apologize to you, my brothers and sisters. 

---------------

Next week, the delegates of the General Conference will gather. Their theme? 

Reimagine 

My friends, the notion that the CGGC can reimagine its way back into God's blessing, very simply, turns the message of the Bible upside down. 

Back in our best days, the Church of God men and women, who walked in God's dynamic blessing, were committed to operating on what they called, "the New Testament plan."

Understand: There was no time, in the New Testament, when believers reimagined themselves back into God's blessing after they'd lost their way. 

Reimagining is human-focused.

The Book of Acts says little about what disciples did in the days after the ascension, but what it says is instructive.

Acts 1:14 says, very simply, "they were devoting themselves to prayer." And, they were together with each other (Acts 2:1).

Their focus was on God, and being together to focus on God. 

In 2022, the CGGC is in decline, no matter how you choose to define it.

These days, we struggle with decreasing numbers, shrinking income and aging congregations. 

Nearly 200 years ago, God's blessing was so astounding that our people struggled to keep up with what the Spirit was doing.

Revelation, the last Book of the New Testament, makes it clear that the Lord does not bless His people when they stop walking in the Spirit.

In Revelation 2, Jesus tells the fallen church in Ephesus, "...you have lost your first love," and, then, "...if you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place."

To the church in Pergamum, Jesus actually threatens some in that church if they don't repent. He says He will "war against them." 

To the lukewarm in Laodicea, Jesus warns, "I know your deeds"..."I will spit you out of my mouth."

In this, actually, there is comfort. True enough. The Lord of all authority and power and blessing is not blessing us.

But, we, in the CGGC, are not the first. 

It's true. His love endures forever. 

His invitation in Matthew 11:28, "Come to me..." is always available. 

But, the Lord's solution for people, and for churches, who have lost His blessing is not to look within ourselves. 

Our solution can't be found in our own imaginings.

Over and over, God's word to individuals, and to churches, is, simply, "Repent."

To be redeemed, we must focus on Him and walk in His ways.

We must repent. 

---------------

One other word from the Lord: At this moment, we are not in the spiritual condition that makes repentance possible. 

We are content. 

The Beatitudes begin, "Blessed are the poor in spirit,...Blessed are those who mourn."

When Jesus invites us and says, "Come to me," His invitation is restricted to, "all you who labor and are heavy laden."

After they repented, Paul explained to the once-fallen church in Corinth: "...godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation." (2 Cor. 7:10)

I'm still in contact with a handful of CGGC people. I read the eNews as faithfully as anyone. My sense is that we're concerned about our decline, yet, we're as lighthearted as we've ever been. 

When I look across the universe of my CGGC acquaintances, I don't sense poor in spirit. I don't see people mourning. I don't see people who labor and are heavy laden. I don't see godly grief producing the repentance that leads to salvation. 

People who are poor in spirit and overwhelmed by godly grief wouldn't, for a moment, think that, by their own reimagining, they can accomplish anything for the Kingdom of God. 

Our answer? Repent. 

I know that our brothers and sisters who planned General Conference sessions, and conceived this time of reimagining are sincere. They only hope for the best...

...but, this will come to nothing. 

We must repent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment