Friday, January 10, 2020

My Belated Comment on Lance's Latest eNews Article

I, just moments ago, submitted a comment in reply to Lance's January 3, 2020 eNews

I'm printing it here because the next eNews will certainly be published before my comment passes moderation and, even if you follow the CGGC blog faithfully, you probably won't see it. 

---------------

Yours is an interesting article, Lance.
It prompted me to think that, for the first time in my life, as people think in 10 year chunks about what’s in the future, I can realistically put myself in your, “Some of us may not have ten years,” category.
That possibility is actually a hopeful one for me. With the apostle Paul, I’m understanding, more and more, his preference “to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.” (2 Cor. 5:8)
Anyway, I did download the Doug Paul ebook.
I did it because I was intrigued by Paul’s predictions numbers 4, 8 and 10 because increases in evangelism, discipleship and moments of innovation are three fruits produced in a time of revival.
As I’ve said and written many times, about 30 years ago now, I began to pray that the Lord would bring revival to our land.
Sadly, Doug Paul’s imagining gives me no hope. He seems to be more of a generic futurist than a specifically CHRISTIAN futurist.
Paul’s reasoning appears to be based essentially in the natural world. For example, in the prediction of a coming wave of innovation (Prediction 10), he says,
“The idea that when people get desperate enough they will try new things is one of the most predictable patterns of human behavior. And if enough people start to try new things, by the law of averages, something will work. And if enough people try enough things, with the Spirit working in and through them, there’s going to be a wave innovation on its’ way.”
Rev. Paul does work in the Spirit in at the very end of that train, but almost as an afterthought, don’t you think?
Even after all my years of study, I still believe that what we sometimes call revival is a God thing. It’s the result of the movement of the Spirit and human obedience….of the Spirit moving first, with faithful men and women following Him and living in His power.
I still pray for that to happen here,…in and through our body, even…in the same way that it is taking place in other places in the world.
I can pray that, through His grace and mercy, the Lord may bless us with an outpouring of the power of His Spirit.
But, I have no hope in Rev. Paul’s change prompted by human desperation.

No comments:

Post a Comment